One-day event raises funds for local breast health services and breast cancer research

LAS VEGAS (March 31, 2014) – The Southern Nevada Affiliate of Susan G. Komen is pleased to announce the registration kickoff for the 19th Annual Race for the Cure®, which will be held on Saturday, May 3 at 8:15 a.m. at theFremont Street Experience in historic downtown Las Vegas. This one-day event raises millions of dollars to find a cure for breast cancer and provide life-saving breast health services to the Las Vegas community. Up to 75 percent of the Komen Southern Nevada Race for the Cure’s net income stays in Southern Nevada to fund local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically underserved. The remaining 25 percent is directed strictly to research to help find cures.

“I began volunteering for Komen Southern Nevada for the Race in 2002 and each year I am so excited to see the event actually unfold on a beautiful Saturday morning. My enthusiasm for the Race only grows with each passing year and we’re so incredibly grateful for the amazing community support we receive,” says Stephanie Kirby, Komen Southern Nevada executive director.

Participants can register online, by mail or in-person at the Southern Nevada Affiliate office (4850 W. Flamingo Road, Suite 25) for the 5K, which is approximately 3.2 miles, or a 1-Mile Fun Walk. Registration at the pre-Race expo will be located at 4648 W. Sahara at the Sahara Pavilion North, on the northeast corner of Sahara and Decatur. This location will be open on Wednesday, April 30 and Thursday, May 1 from 3 to 7 p.m. and Friday, May 2 from 12 to 4 p.m. The Race will start at the intersection of Las Vegas Boulevard and Clark Avenue and will finish at the intersection of Fremont East and 6th Street. Survivors and their guests can enjoy a complimentary breakfast inside the Pretty in Pink Cafe starting at 6 a.m. with festivities on the Third Street Stage beginning at 6:45 a.m. Runners and walkers may form teams of 10 or more people, join existing teams or participate as individuals. Race registration fee is $30 for individuals and $25 for team members. Race day registration, sponsored by American Family Insurance, is $40 and will be available in the Jackie Gaughan Parkway, located directly off Las Vegas Boulevard and Ogden. Children, ages 2-12, and babies are welcome to participate in the Race for $10. Running and walking is acceptable on either route.

MGM Resorts International is sponsoring Kids for the Cure®, a fun-filled activity area designed for kids of all ages locatedat 4th Street and Fremont Street Experience. Kids for the Cure® will feature carnival games, live stage entertainment and raffle prizes. Registered babies will receive a Babies for the Cure bib and parents will be able to participate in the annual Baby Crawl with their children on the Kids for the Cure® stage.

Those unable to participate on Race Day may register for Sleep In for the Cure® and receive a special Sleep In t-shirt. Komen supporters may also register for Sleep In for the Cure through the end of May and have the t-shirt mailed directly to them.

The Komen Southern Nevada Affiliate is one of 121 Komen Affiliates worldwide – all pledging to relieve suffering from the disease and to end breast cancer forever. Through local events and activities, the Komen Southern Nevada Affiliate mobilizes and educates thousands of community members while raising funds to support community-based breast cancer programs.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Southern Nevada Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Southern Nevada Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Southern Nevada Race for the Cure, the Southern Nevada Affiliate has invested $6.8 million in community breast cancer programs in six counties since 1996. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the local community. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information visit www.komensouthernnevada.org or call (702) 822-2324. Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susan-G-Komen-for-the-Cure-of-Southern-Nevada/255100881352, or on Twitter @KomenSN.

# # #

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY